For more than 25 years the plastics industry has promoted Operation Clean Sweep (OCS), a campaign dedicated to helping every plastic resin handling operation achieve zero plastic resin loss. The Plastics Industry Association (PLASTICS) and the American Chemistry Council (ACC) invite companies to take their commitment – an annual pledge committing to OCS principles by plastics companies or plastics employees – to the next level.
OCS blue is a new, data-driven VIP member offering available to current OCS members. The new member level will act as a recognition for companies excelling within the existing program. OCS blue enhances the commitment to management, measurement, and reporting of unrecovered plastic releases into the environment from resin handling facilities. To qualify for OCS blue, all resin handling locations within a company must be active participants.
OCS blue members will receive:
- An OCS blue member plaque
- OCS blue logo for use on websites/emails/internal communications
- OCS website recognition
- OCS newsletter recognition
OCS BLUE ACTIVITIES
By becoming an OCS blue Member, my organization commits to fulfill the following activities:
- Conduct regular training and new employee onboarding for resin handling employees on: awareness and accountability for pellet loss prevention, containment, and clean-up.
- Display the OCS plaque, certificate, and posters to reinforce the company’s OCS commitment among its employees and business partners.
- Periodically conduct an internal audit to confirm whether management systems meet the requirements and objectives of OCS blue.
- Enable employees to provide feedback on the company’s pellet containment program.
- Establish written procedures and checklists for actions inside member operated facilities to locate potential risks, prevent pellet loss, and manage clean-up.
- Periodically conduct site inspections based on risk.
- Educate transportation partners to help them understand the importance of OCS and their participation, sharing the OCS transportation brochure.
- Annually share with PLASTICS or ACC information on your company’s best management practices (BMPs) for implementation of its OCS blue Membership commitments. This information will be used in OCS literature and on the OCS website. (There is no prescribed method of reporting, but all listed OCS champions will be expected to provide some information/ content for your company’s profile on the OCS website. Companies do not need to develop new BMPs each year, but rather confirm or update BMPs provided to PLASTICS or ACC.)
- Participate in an OCS best practices event, where the company is formally recognized as an OCS Blue Member. (Attendee should be an OCS champion and or corporate representative.)
PROGRESS REPORTING METRIC
OCS blue member companies commit to the following:
- Metric Reporting – Companies must annually report metric data to PLASTICS or ACC
- Metric Data – Data to be reported annually includes the number and volume of incidents of any unrecovered release of plastic pellets, flakes, powders, or granules, within the physical custody of a member company, from containment to ground or water outside member-operated facilities and estimated to be greater than 0.5 litres or 0.5 kilograms per incident.
 See Operation Clean Sweep Guidance Manual for provisions regarding plastic dust.
 “Physical custody” means holding the property under physical (visible) possession.
OCS Blue Members
- Americas Styrenics LLC
- Bedford Industries, Inc.
- Berry Global
- C&G Mercury Plastics
- Celanese Corporation
- Chevron Phillips Chemical Company
- ExxonMobil Chemical Company
- G&D Trucking, Inc./ Hoffman Transportation LLC
- Inteplast Group
- King Plastics, Inc.
- LyondellBasell Industries
- Plastics Plus Technology, Inc.
- Repsco Inc.
- Roplast Industries, Inc.
- Shell Chemical Company
- Solvay Specialty Polymers USA, LLC
- Dow Chemical Company
- Trinseo LLC
- Plastic Express
- Ingenia Polymers Inc.
- Occidental Chemical Corporation (OxyChem)
- Frontier Transport, NA, LP
- Covestro LLC
- Custom Commodities Transport
- RSI Leasing, Inc.
- Dart Container Corporation
- Dartco of Texas LLP
- Dart Polymers
- Solo Cup Operating Company
- Chase Plastics Services Inc.
- Bayport Polymers LLC
- R&J Trucking, Inc.