The Operation Clean Sweep® (OCS) Program
Plastics Industry Association (PLASTICS) began an education effort twelve years ago to reduce plastic resin loss to the environment. A number of public service materials under the name of Operation Clean Sweep (OCS) were disseminated to companies throughout the country. The message was simple: Resin should be contained, reclaimed and/or disposed of properly. It’s time to refocus all members of our industry’s supply chain on this problem and to expand the OCS initiative to solve it.
The Plastics Division of the American Chemistry Council (ACC) and PLASTICS are working together on a revitalized OCS program to strengthen efforts to educate and change behavior in the plastics industry with a goal of zero plastic resin loss. ACC and PLASTICS are strongly committed to this effort and are encouraging plastics companies to participate in the OCS program, which includes the practices and tools outlined in this manual.
Watch the video below to learn more about how Operation Clean Sweep works at companies that have taken the pledge.
- OCS Member Pledge (Company) – Signing this pledge commits your company to the five commitments of the OCS Program.
- OCS Member Pledge (Employee) – OCS Members should encourage all employees to sign this pledge. Each individual’s contribution and commitment to the success of OCS is essential to achieving zero resin loss.
- OCS blue Member Pledge – OCS blue is a new, data-driven VIP member offering available to current OCS members. The new member level will act as a recognition for companies excelling within the existing program. OCS blue enhances the commitment to management, measurement, and reporting of unrecovered plastic releases into the environment from resin handling facilities.
- OCS Supporter Pledge – Supporters of Operation Clean Sweep® (OCS) are organizations (for-profit or non-profit companies; incorporated trade associations; and unincorporated coalitions) that do not qualify for partnership (i.e., do not manufacture or handle resin pellets) but support the efforts of OCS to prevent pellet loss in the environment.
- OCS International Partner – International Partners of OCS are the many other countries that license the Operation Clean Sweep® program.
OCS Employee Roles
- OCS Champion – This person signs the OCS pledge on behalf of their company, committing it to fulfilling the program criteria.
- OCS Primary Contact – This person is the logistical contact for the implementation of the program.
- OCS Facility Contact – Facility Contacts are assigned by the company to manage OCS practices at their respective facility location.
- OCS blue Reporting Contact – This role is specific to OCS blue. This person is responsible for submitting annual spillage data to OCS Staff.
Hear from 4 of the over 200 OCS Members that have found success with reducing plastic resin loss using the program’s best practices.
Zero plastic resin loss is a priority for the plastics industry—and a critical issue for our environment. Spilled pellets, flakes, and powder can make their ways can make their way into local waterways and ultimately estuaries and the ocean. This isn’t just an eyesore and a litter issue; pellets, flakes, and powder, if accidentally mistaken for food by birds or marine animals, could harm them. That’s why the industry is behind Zero Pellet, Flake, and Powder Loss—and it can only be achieved with your help. The OCS Program was created to help you protect the environment and keep it clean.
Founded in 1937, the Plastics Industry Association (PLASTICS) promotes growth in the third largest manufacturing industry in the United States. PLASTICS member companies represent the entire plastics industry supply chain, including processors, machinery and equipment manufacturers, raw materials suppliers and plastics recyclers.
The Plastics Division of ACC represents leading manufacturers of plastic resins.